Senior FootnotesFeb 01, 2021 06:10PM ● By Chuck Tashjian
Happy New Year! 2021 has finally arrived and I am optimistic that it will be much better than the year that just ended. Thank you to all of you for the patience that you have shown during this difficult time. We are so very grateful for all the kind notes, letters and phone calls, it really keeps us going at a time when it would be so much easier to just sit and do nothing. Each one of our members provide so much joy to the staff and volunteers at the center.
The town has provided the center with all the tools needed to keep us actively engaged and safe. The exercise classes and lunch are continuing during the winter months and we will add additional programming as soon as it is safe to do so. We are very fortunate that the Town of Norwood is so supportive and understands how important the senior center is to all of you.
Please be safe this winter and remember to look out for one another. We are always here to serve you and always look forward to seeing you here at the center. Thank you again for your continued support, and all of your thoughtful- ness that make this such a special place for the seniors, and the staff
Happy New Year, Kerri McCarthy, Norwood Senior Center Executive Director
Winter Storm Closings
Due to the school system operating differently this year, the Norwood Senior Center will not be able to go by the Norwood Public School's closing announcements to get the word out if the Center will be closed. Updates can be found on the Norwood Senior Center Facebook page Center voicemails will be updated as well as possible. The best thing to do is call us to see if the Center is open or if any of the classes/lunch have been cancelled. The Norwood Center phone number is 781-762-1201.
SHINE counselors, Carole and Jill, continue to assist people with Medicare needs.
Appointments will be by telephone only at this time. Please call 781−762−1201 ext. 5, to make an appointment.
Carole is at the Norwood Senior Center on Tuesdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Jill is at the Norwood Senior Center on Fridays, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
COVID-19 Procedures for the Norwood Senior Center
As the Norwood Senior Center continues to open their doors, it is with great caution and guidance.
• Masks must be worn while indoors, we have plenty if you need one
• Social Distance while walking around the center
• All socializing needs to be done outdoors at this time
• The Café will remain closed, we will provide coffee outdoors when weather allows
• No card games indoors at this time
• No Bingo, line dance or dances allowed at this time :(
• Pre−register for all classes and outdoor programs
• Exercise classes will resume very slowly (see schedule) Max participants 15
• There will be 14 foot spaces marked for individuals to exercise
• The fitness room will be available for one person at a time−please sign up
• The computers will be available for use− 2 people at a time
• Stylus key chains will be provided to use for the My Senior Center Kiosk
• Please call and make an appointment with Trish, walk−ins are not allowed
• Bathrooms will be cleaned and sanitized daily
• Extra hand sanitizers have been placed around the center for your use
• If you do not feel well, please stay home and take care of yourself
• At any time, the center could close again so please keep in touch
I know this seems cold and uninviting but believe me it is for your safety. We have worked closely with the Department of Public Health to go over what we can and cannot do. I be− lieve if we practice all the suggested guidelines (wear a mask, social distance, wash your hands and tay home when sick) it will be safe to open our doors. We will do this very slowly and hope that we will be able to move forward at some point.
The Norwood Senior Center wants to hear how you are all doing during this pandemic.
During the month of February, mail them a note and your name will be entered into a gift card drawing.
1. Must be a Norwood resident
2. Must receive your card before January 30th.
3. Winners will be pulled Monday-Friday
4. Winners notified by telephone
5. Stay well-we are almost there!
The Norwood Senior Center is located at 275 Prospect St., Norwood, MA 02062. Their phone number is 781-762-1201. The Center is open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. through 4 p.m. For more information, visit www.norwoodma.gov/departments/council_on_aging.