Norwood Senior Community News
From a benefit of a grant from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Norwood officers will be out in full force conducting traffic enforcement throughout 2023.
So if you see more officers pulling over cars, it’s not your imagination. It’s just the Norwood PD trying to keep everyone safe!
An Excerpt from Kathleen’s Outreach Letter
Do you know about the Massachusetts Senior Circuit Breaker Tax Credit?
The following information was taken from the Mass.gov website: “As a senior citizen (65 or older by December 31 of the tax year), you may be eligible to claim a refundable credit on your MA personal income tax return. The Circuit Breaker tax credit is based on the actual real estate taxes or rent paid on the MA residential property you own or rent and occupy as your principal residence. The maximum credit amount for tax year 2022 is $1,200.
Who is eligible
· You must be a Massachusetts resident or part-year resident.
· You must be 65 or older by December 31 of the tax year.
· You must file a Schedule CB with your Massachusetts personal income tax return.
· You must own or rent residential property in MA and occupy it as your primary residence.
· For tax year 2022, your total Massachusetts income does not exceed: · $64,000 for a single individual who is not the head of a household; $80,000 for a head of household; $96,000 for married couples filing a joint return.
· If you are a homeowner, your MA property tax payments, together with half of your water and sewer expense, must exceed 10% of your total MA income for the tax year.
· If you are a renter, 25% of your annual MA rent must exceed 10% of your total MA income for the tax year.
· The assessed valuation of the homeowner’s personal residence as of January 1, 2022, before residential exemptions but after abatements, cannot exceed $912,000.
· The Schedule CB must be completed within 3 years from the last day for filing the return, without regard to any extension of time to file.” I hope this was helpful.
Please reach out to me with any questions on information and referral or completing applications for housing and other programs. Have a great month! Kathleen 781-762-1201 x3 [email protected]
Medical Appointment Transportation
The Norwood Senior Center offer out of town medical rides to Norwood residents who are 60 and older.
Available Monday - Friday
A minimum of 72 hours (3 working days) advance notice is required.
Rides are not guaranteed
Servicing Canton, Dedham, Walpole, Westwood, Foxboro, Newton, Norfolk, Needham
Caregivers are welcome to accompany rider.
Walkers and transport chairs are allowed but rider must be able to get into and out of the van independently. The van is not wheelchair accessible.
Masks are recommended while riding in any town vehicle.
New phone number for out of town rides: 781-762-1201, x6
Dance on St. Patrick’s Day!
The Friends of the Norwood Council on Aging will be sponsoring their monthly Ballroom Dance, on Friday, March 17th (St. Patrick’s Day), 7-10 p.m., at the Norwood Senior Center,
275 Prospect St., Norwood.
Music will be provided by DB Band. Coffee, tea & desserts will be served and there will be door prizes! Cost is $12 per person. Newcomers welcome!
To stay up to date on ‘Friends’ events,. Visit their Facebook page at: Friends Of The Norwood Council On Aging.
Visit Newport Playhouse in June
Bloom Tours is taking participants to the Newport Playhouse and Cabaret Restaurant for a show and lunch! Price is $139 per person. Sign up the end of March. For more information, stop by the Senior Center or call 781-762-1201.